Thursday, July 5, 2007

the instruments


I don't listen to enough classical music, it's a huge void in my music world...I do appreciate the indie crossover artists like Rachel's or Alarm will Sound, but let's face it, I have no experience with music before 1980. I will have to work on that.
In the meantime I can enjoy this explosions in the sky for classical music. It seems Heather McIntosh, a recent brooklyn transplant from Athens, is a composer for dance and film as well as her recent project: The Instruments. She is a classicaly trained cellist and has at one time or another been a part of Circulatory System, Elf Power and Japancakes and has also played or recorded with bands such as Superchunk, Of Montreal, The Gerbils, and Kevin Ayers.
The tracks at her myspace page, sound like a film score, or instrumental calexico or neutral milk hotel. There is something a little off, a little edgier than you expect, like a good Danny Elfman track. I can't imagine what she will do with these covers of Joy Division, I really want to hear this.

This is available on Darla records.

INSTRUMENTS, THE s/t 7" $5.99 Happy Happy Birthday to Me The Instruments (members of Circulatory System, Elf Power, Olivia Tremor Control) take on 4 Joy Divison tracks. The 7” features 2 tracks “Passover” & “New Dawn Fades” . The single comes with a CDR featuring those tracks as well as “Decades” & “Love Will Tear Us Apart”. This single is limited to 300 copies.

No comments:

Post a Comment