Monday, July 30, 2007

jens lekman

In addition to creating really nice orchestrated, full sounding heartfelt honest songs, he sounds like Jonathan Richmond. I found an Insound split 7 inch where he introduced the song A sweet summers night on hammer hill. It totally threw me to hear him start talking about leaving the town where he grew up, moving away in the winter and just thinking how he would never come back, he hated that place, and then one summer going back to hammer hill and it was the most beautiful place in the world. It felt like listening to old records I used to have of James and the Giant Peach or Star Trek, just sitting for hours, drawing, listening to someone telling me a story. I'm sure I wore those records out.
Jens just came up randomly on my ipod one day and I couldn't stop listening. It was so different from everything else I was listening to at the time. Really straightforward vocals and minimal music and the song about rocky dennis just killed me. I don't always love some of the little choices he makes, but it's nitpicky because overall it's so interesting and unique.

I can't wait to order this tomorrow and hear both of these tracks...

JENS LEKMAN TO RELEASE DIGITAL SINGLE On July 31st, Jens Lekman will release the first peek into his much anticipated, yet to be named, forthcoming album. The single, "Friday Night at the Drive-In Bingo," will be available digitally (you know, for "downloading"), world-wide at your favorite e-tailer.

For those of you that prefer a more tactile experience, a 7" of "Bingo" will also be available via Jens' website and his Swedish home at Service. The 7" will feature an exclusive B-side entitled "Radio NRJ ".

No comments:

Post a Comment