Monday, May 4, 2009

Real Estate -Fake Blues- on Woodsist


Real Estate has a new single from Woodsist, just out maybe today...I was just there looking at the Kurt Vile full length a few days ago and this wasn't listed yet. So I paypaled for both this afternoon, along with a new Thee Oh Sees they have as well.
Looks like a full length from Real Estate is scheduled from them later this year.
I'm really into this sleepy rock sound, not as tropical, dense sample heavy as Ducktails, Matt Mondanile being a member of both of course. This is a more live sound, heavy on reverb, two-step drums. Nothing like I expected actually. It's a produced and really clean full band sound...hypnotic and repeating, a little like Bedhead....or Fuck.
I love the Suburban Beverage track on their other single, which is still available. It goes on forever in this groove. They are creating a really catchy, almost jazz induced feel in every song. This live show from Breakthru radio is a great example, recorded at Piano's is full of great stuff. It's so familiar, every sound, but they manage to keep it really engaging.

I don't know why but it's reminding me of my first show ever... The Ocean Blue and The Mighty Lemon drops at oswego college. It's dreamy...and solid. I could stand there forever. Looking forward to catching them this Thursday at Public Asembly.

Fake Blues, the A-Side starts out with their signature reverb picking, a coupe of great little melodies layered and the drums come in with an all tom beat. They do this thing where the bass notes are hit at the same time as the cymbal crashes...it's all muted, but that little part is so perfect. The vocals are mixed down...angelic. It's really settling the scene for summer...I could see this as slow-mo music. The camera sweeps underwater as someone jumps in. Laughing. There's water everywhere.

From fusetron:
*Artist: REAL ESTATE
Title: Fake Blues
Format: 7"
Label: Woodsist
Country: USA
Price: $5.00

or of course Woodsist.

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous10:05 PM

    Is Woodsist's 7" any different from the UK release on Half Machine? I didn't realize it was being pressed by multiple labels.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anon-
    I can't confirm the track listing for the Woodsist release anywhere, but I'd bet it's the same thing. I'll let you know when this actually arrives.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous10:11 AM

    I asked Half Machine about it and they said the B side and artwork are different.

    ReplyDelete