Tuesday, February 6, 2007

Dread Astaire double 7 inch

TAKE TIME TO HATE ME
double 7 inch EP

A: SHIT HAPPENS WHEN YOU PARTY NAKED
B: NIGHT, THE DESERT
C: TAKE TIME TO HATE ME
D: NEW BASS IN HELL

I have to hand it to Dread Astaire, they put out a quality seven inch. I couldn't bend this vinyl if I wanted to. It is ridiculously thick as hell, the thickest 7 inch I have ever seen. But it's not just one.... it's a double 7", it barely fits in sleeve. This is super slick packaging. Heavy cardboard offset printed sleeve, imported from greece. They must have especially awesome record pressing plants there for new music.

The first song starts out and I'm in velvet underground/lou reed territory, the repetitive, droning 2 chord guitar churning away, but with much better production. Not to the point of losing the garage, crumpled edges. All of the character isn't stripped away, it still has the 'rocking out in your garage on halloween' feel. Then the vocals kick in and I fast forward to the early nineties listening to ministry, or the butthole surfers, the distorted talking style vocals minus the industrial hillbilly edge. It's slightly sinister, I bet they wear sunglasses and will still kick your ass. Don't get me wrong, It's not overdone to the point of tedium, I can understand the lyrics and can half rock to it, it's not an exercise in noise, there is a pop element here, and I think in the end they really just want to be friends.

I suspect from these song titles that there's some sisters of mercy meets leonard cohen thing going on here also. It's dark, that kind of creepy surf rock, almost comic book style menace, that's accessible but unnerving at the same time.

Like White Zombie meets lou reed. Ok that's it... thats the analogy I like.

Dimitris from Dread says:
Just wanted to mention that our records are available through gemm.com, or directly from us, with an e-mail to our website, www.dreadastaire.com
7inch EP is 10 USD including postage. 10inch is 10 USD including postage. Both records are 15, including postage.
Obviously, Dread Astaire already knows.... Vinyl is cool again.

No comments:

Post a Comment