Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Patchy skies • They're just girls


The patchy skies came to me from Extra small records the other day, and I loved it immediately, this so completely reminded me of one of my favorite low-fi duos, The Yips.
Even at 45rpm they somehow manage a mini EP, with these less than 2 minute live recordings, they capture that recording in a gargage we-love-music sound.
This is a piece of vinyl from a band probably so fleeting that the fact it even exists is really amazing. There's no myspace page for patchy skies, they are too busy writing songs. I don't even know if they are still around, but this is a great legacy.
This straddles twee and punk. They have that full practice space room sound, it's all cymbals and old amp trebled up and a room mic. The chords are all minor and Jess repeats every word like a monotone twee mantra into a mic running directly into the mix:
I I I I I I want to give give give give give you markings markings all over your neck.

I can't even write a sentence without crawling off the bed to go flip it over again... by the time you read this I've played it easily 5 times.
It's awesomely sloppy, Jess sings off key in that I don't give a fuck way, they maybe rehearsed this 3 times, maybe it's someone's side project, but I'm in love with that immediate sound. It's just as fun as the minute it was recorded. It's so completely from that moment and like everything else, before you know it, it's over.

Apprecia-yeh-yeh-yeh-yeh-yeate it while you've got it, got it, got it.

On unexpectedly clear vinyl.

The Patchy Skies They're Just Girls (CLEAR VINYL!!!)
(December, 2006)
Jess Scott - Vocals, Guitar Ilana Goldbag - Drums Jordan Rode - Bass
A - Markings (1:44) They're Just Girls (1:33)

B - There's Just No Telling (1:48) Faces Like Yours (1:24)

No comments:

Post a Comment