Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Bastard Noise+ Antennacle tour 7"


You know what it is about these noise/experimental 7"'s... it's that I feel like I can absord the piece when it's this length. I can take some time and focus on one track over and over, and it's not the overwhelming entire album. I can work through this little highlighted fragment that's limited by the format and then try to track down a full length somewhere, if I see it.

Dusted gave it a great review and the initial description got me to check this out for later.

I have a backlog of John Weise 7"'s to get to but he's a heavyweight in the experimental noise scene from way back, and then the element of collaboration through the mail (or more likely email) sold me. I like conceptual 7"'s like that.

It seems Bastard Noise is made up of previous hardcore punk dudes who instead of relying on typical guitar configurations, took that other arguably more punk direction of customizing the 'guitar' into a new unrecognizable instrument, and with that comes an entirely new structure of playing, sounding etc. They are the real deal and not some effects mess.
I'm also reading that John is not a member of Bastard Noise any longer (?) so he may not have played or had anything to do with this collaboration.

Antennacle is where the distance collaboration sound experiements element is added, they describe their performances as tentacles that transmit and receive from different parts of the world geographically live.
I'm all for this idea, and it sounds like this isn't neccessarily an ear splitting nightmare...that's my other beef with noise stuff, it doesn't all have to be an exercise in who can take the walls down.

It's on Kitty Play records, who is a kick ass noise-awesomeness label out of NJ, I am happy to know about. That colored vinyl is definitely going to end up on the podcast.

From Dusted:

Bastard Noise & Antennacle "He No Longer Lives Entirely Among Us" b/w "Moving Across" 7" (Kitty Play) Excellent noise collaborations by the experts. So many little layers in the sounds on both sides here, which possess the reassuring aura of crickets at night. Grounded beyond the need to explain itself, these two tracks are remarkably magnetic, and adhere closely to their base tones, a dense bed of electronic chirping at points on the musical scale. A noise single you'll actually want to listen to, packaged labor intensively (screenprinted, foldover sleeve that ties together with string). Turn it all the way up and watch as your house falls to pieces around you. (DM)

No comments:

Post a Comment