Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Young Widows / Bonnie Prince Billy split on Temporary Residence Records

I heard about this a while back, and in case I already mentioned it a bunch of posts back, sorry, but here it is again. Temporary Residence announced this split series with Young Widows. The first split announced in the series is with Bonnie 'Prince' Billy. I have to admit I blindly ordered into this series without really listening to Young Widows....I'm a little surprised, but then again I guess not. Mr. Billy has an eclectic group of recordings and is a fan of some crazy shit obviously. Maybe it'll be amazing because it is such a polar opposite pairing.

Now that I'm actually listening to Young Widows, there are elements of shellac, stuttered clipped guitar...they get into some great metal-ish running riffs, with pauses, slightly math....it's just the vocals really aren't doing it for me....now maybe it's something I could get used to .....like ISIS...or just appreciate them musically enough to not care that much.

There are times when I think 'Ok I have some room in my library for more instrumental metal' and then they go and scream almost emo exaggerated vocals that sound layered and recorded in an empty room it just takes me out of it, this sound has been ruined by too many hacks...you have to be aware of the baggage that comes along when you sound like so many of those dicks. This band isn't making it easy on themselves.
Them I swear it sounds like Rollins Band or something....or Helmet. When everyone is yelling the chorus it goes a little Fugazi and I'm into it again.
If I was skating in my garage on a shitty halfpipe, this would kill. It would be stuck in the tape player.

If Bonnie is any indication of where this singles club is going It's going to be a real interesting series that's for sure.


TRACK LISTING

1. YOUNG WIDOWS: King Of The Back-Burners

2. BONNIE 'PRINCE' BILLY: Poor Shelter

Following on the heels of their breakthrough Old Wounds album, Young Widows have assembled an all-killer-no-filler split single series, featuring new, unreleased Young Widows jams, split up over four separate 7" singles, accompanied by a handful of their favorite friends and artists on the opposite sides of each single. Those artists include Bonnie 'Prince' Billy, Melt-Banana, Pelican, and a final mystery artist to be named at a later date. All songs by all artists are brand new and exclusive to this series. Each single is strictly limited to a one-time pressing of 2,000 copies. The artwork for the four singles fits together to form one large, beautiful puzzled image. This first single in the series features Young Widows and Bonnie 'Prince' Billy.

No comments:

Post a Comment