Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Sufjan stevens • Seven swans • Seven inch



I haven't seen this rerelease of Seven Swans mentioned anywhere...this description came from a store in sweden, maybe a little too early?
Sounds Familyre doesn't have a mention of it. I don't know when this might be coming out, so I'll mention it again. I haven't gone back far enough in the sufjan catalog... I have seen 'that dress looks nice on you' 7" on ebay, and don't want to spend that kind of money.
And here's why: I still feel responsible for the don cab 7" I won and therefore ruined via the post office...that was bad enough but my new stupid problem is I keep telling myself 'don't grab the seven inch with your fingernails' when I try to pry it off the turntable because inevitably one finger will slip and I'll gouge a line straight across the record and have to put another penny on top of the needle. It kills me even thinking about it. That I permanently altered a record, that every time I try to enjoy it, I kind of damage this perfect object. Just like everything I guess.

I think this rerelease will be great, I could use an excuse to get this on vinyl and a seven inch with unreleased tracks. So far he hasn't written a song I don't like and I'm trying to not let his religious beliefs influence how I feel about certain tracks. And he's incredible live, the entire band...to see the orchestration played out with a group of people...at times louder than the PA system....it's just as amazing as the music.
This is from Daniel Smith himself:
On sounds familyre STEVENS SUFJAN - SEVEN SWAN 2xLP+7"
When thinking about re-issuing the vinyl version of "Seven Swans," Sufjan and I decided to look back at some of the unmixed tracks that didn't make the cut for the record. I went back to the 1/4" 8 track tapes and made rough mixes of these recordings to play for Sufjan. "Seven Swans" was actually recorded before "Michigan", so we had an early version of "Romulus" that Sufjan had decided didn't work with the album. Also we had a song "Borderline" which ended up on a Rough Trade 7". The two remaining songs, "I Went Dancing With My Sister" and "Waste Of What Your Kids Won't Have," were great fun to hear again. I put bass lines down on them and mixed them up for Sufjan to hear. We liked what we heard, but felt that they still belong separate from the album. So here we are with the vinyl re-issue of "Seven Swans." It's an album that I so proud to have been part of and still enjoy listening to. The vinyl mastering is better, the vinyl is thicker, the cover is matte instead of shiny, and it's got a bonus 7" of two Sufjan songs from the "Seven Swans" sessions that are not available in any other format. Get a new needle for your turntable and enjoy. Daniel Smith, Clarksboro

2007TRACKLISTING: 01. ALL THE TREES OF THE FIELD WILL CLAP THEIR HANDS 02. THE DRESS LOOKS NICE ON YOU 03. IN THE DEVIL'S TERIITORY 04. TO BE ALONE WITH YOU 05. ABRAHAM 06. SISTER 07. SIZE TOO SMALL 08. WE WON'T NEED LEGS TO STAND 09. A GOOD MAN IS HARD TO FIND 10. HE WOKE ME UP AGAIN 11. SEVEN SWANS 12.

THE TRANSFIGURATION DISC #2: 01. I WENT DANCING WITH MY SISTER 02. WASTE OF WHAT YOUR KIDS WON'T HAVE


No comments:

Post a Comment